Single storey rear extension
A single storey rear extension
is a ground floor extension to a habitable room at the back of your property such as kitchen
, dining room, living room etc.
You could decide to stick to a traditional construction or opt for a bespoke design with a vaulted roof to increase the room space and light.
Whatever you decide to build, a well designed and constructed single storey extension can provide you with that increased room space and added enjoyment which is integral with the rest of your house.
Do I need Planning Permission for a single storey rear extension?
You can construct your proposed single storey rear extension as long as the following parameters are met;
- The area covered by buildings, other than the original house, within the curtilage of the dwelling house, must not exceed 50% of the total area of the curtilage (minus the original house ground area)
- In the case of a bungalow, the height of the extension is not to exceed the height the highest part of the roof of the existing house
- In the case of a bungalow, the height of the eaves of the extension is not to exceed the height of the eaves to the existing house
- Where the extension is within 2mtr of the boundary, the eaves height to be no more than 3mtr
- The extension does not extend beyond a wall which fronts a highway and forms either the principal entrance elevation or a side elevation of the original house
- The side extension is no wider than half the width of the existing house
- The extension does not exceed 4mtr in height
- The extension is built with materials in any exterior work (other than conservatory) with a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the existing dwelling house.
- The extension does not include a proposed veranda
- The extension does not include a balcony
- The extension does not include a raised platform
- The extension does not include installation, alteration or replacement of a micro antenna
- The extension does not include installation, alteration or replacement of a chimney, flue or soil and vent pipe
- The extension does not include an alteration to the existing roof of the house
- Your house is not within article 1 (5) land area. This is areas within National Park, area of outstanding beauty, conservation area, the broads and a world heritage site.
In the event one or more of the above is not complied with, it would result in your development being not permitted, and an application will be required to be submitted for permission.
Find Builders in your local area
Enter your postcode below and click the Find button to search your local area.
Do I need Building Control approval for a single storey rear extension?
. A single storey side extension is classed as controllable ‘building work’ (not exempt), requiring you to submit a valid application, appropriate form, fee and details to your local building control body
prior to commencement of the building work.
You may submit a building/full plans application to your local authority building control body or employ an Approved Inspector
or submit of an initial notice to the local authority.
Services you may need to consider using
Below are a listing of resources and topics that may help your with your project.
Doug's top tips!
If you require further advice about whether or not you require Planning permission and Building Control approval, please contact your local Planning Officer and Building Control Officer.
If you like what you see here, share it with the world!